Senior Area Engineer - Design
Senior Area Engineer - Design
Job Reference: 25202
Closing Date: 26 September 2016
As a Senior Area Engineer at HS2, you will lead a small engineering team on the delivery of cost-effective design solutions for a specified area within the proposed Phase 2B route (Crewe to Manchester and West Midlands to Leeds). The team will manage the delivery of cost-effective design solutions in accordance with HS2’s project and statutory requirements, reviewing and assessing technical submissions from Professional Service Consultants to determine compliance with standards and requirements in preparation for the Phase 2B Hybrid Bill submission to parliament.
About the role:
• Lead the delivery of safe and affordable design solutions that meet requirements and ensure value for money at each stage of the HS2 development
• Manage and guide our engineering consultants and contractors, drawing on expertise from within HS2 to inform and support them in delivering design work
• Identify and assess design risks within the project
• Ensure technical submissions comply with the accepted format and design requirements
• As the senior engineer you will lead the technical engineering input, designs, documentation and responses required to support the hybrid bill submission to parliament
• Attend public engagement events and planning forums
• Explore opportunities for developing local community benefits and solutions
• Lead and develop the Phase 2B engineering team.
• A degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering with demonstrable knowledge of engineering design principles
• Experience of design engineering, ranging from feasibility to detail design, ideally on a complex infrastructure project
• Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders with the ability to communicate complex technical issues to non-technical stakeholders
• Ability to communicate, engage and influence a variety of external stakeholders at public forums
• Strong planning and organisational skills, and the ability to deliver under pressure to meet tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions
• Able to manage our civil contractor and ensure their compliance
• It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.