Investigator: Laboratory Automation Lead user
Investigator: Laboratory Automation Lead user
- PhD or equivalent in engineering (eg bio-engineering, biomedical, chemical engineering).
- Experience with the build and operation of integrated automation systems
- Experience with automation control software and the scheduling of high throughput experiments and executing/miniaturizing assays
- Either experience with the automation of protein analytical assays/processes OR experience with microfluidic liquid handling technologies is desirable.
- Lead from the lab with hands on experience of automated equipment
- Knowledge of key steps in technology deployment
- Ability to integrate, test, and troubleshoot equipment or control software
- Knowledge of biopharmaceutical process development
- Understanding of the R&D environment and challenges for laboratory capabilities
- Ability to translate scientific processes to automation platforms and to identify new application areas.
- Organisational and project management skills for disaggregating complex concepts and problems, conducting critical and systematic evaluations, assessing alternative courses of action before creating a practical application that takes into account benefits and risks.
- Use of commercially available laboratory automation
- Experience working in matrix environments and effective communication skills.
The Biopharm Molecular Discovery (BPMD) Unit has the remit to design and optimize biopharmaceuticals from Target to Candidate Molecule exploiting cutting edge technology and delivering diverse lead panels from which high quality candidates can be selected and seamlessly transferred to Biopharmaceutical Product Development and Supply. We are currently looking to integrate selected new technologies and processes to modernise/automate our Biopharmaceutical Discovery which has led to the creation of new position.
- To support identification and evaluation of developability screening platform
- To design automated solutions to scientific workflows
- Benchmark solutions and deliver best in class recommendations adapted to the needs of the workflow in terms of multiple criteria (e.g. throughput, cycle time, quality and end user knowledge)
- Consider how data will be incorporated in the input to the automation and the output into current and emerging IT/informatics systems
- Demonstrate exceptional teamwork in complex automation projects; taking ownership and personal accountability for the delivery of successful outcomes through defined goals, translating objectives into clear deliverables and ensuring intent is translated into action.
- Scientific liaison with external and internal partners to drive the implementation of new processes
- Experience with microfluidics or other miniaturized and non-plate based formats a plus
- Teach, and potentially train/facilitate training, to non-automation experts to use automation
- Clear and concise presentations of results to peers and programme/technology implementation teams.
Closing Date: 14th April 2017
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
If requiring an adjustment for a disability, once selected for interview you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the 'APPLY' button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.