Job Title: Engineering Manager (Of existing product design and production engineering)
Reports To: Operations Manager
Group/Division:SDG / APD
Career Band:7 Management
No. of Direct Reports: 2 - 4 (15+ within team)
Salary: Competitive base + 10% bonus + healthcare + pension scheme + additional benefits
The Engineering Manager is responsible for driving the business annual goals for the team to deliver all engineering activities relating to instruments and spares manufactured at APD Runcorn plus factored products. This includes sustaining engineering, engineering change control, process validation, production engineering, and implementation of PPI lean practices, value engineering and line support.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage existing product designs to maintain compliance with legislation changes (e.g. IEC61010, RoHS, export compliance)
- Manage and develop a multi-functional team of engineers and support staff, ensuring the structure and resource is aligned with business goals.
- Manage the Engineering Change Control Process and ensure resources are aligned to business priorities
- Manage the product and process structures (BOMs and BOOs) within the ERP system during product introduction, change control and product termination.
- Drive and Monitor component part obsolesce and co-ordinate cost effective solutions to prevent disruption to instrument supply and spares support
- Co-ordinate technical investigations utilising cross-functional teams as required.
- Ensure adherence to the Quality Management System. Review and update procedures in line with regulations.
- Manage Process Verification and Validation of all related activities
- Manage the implementation of PPI Lean principals to assembly to increase productivity, FPY, quality, compliance and reduce costs.
- Manage Production Support, including methods, test procedures, test fixtures, labelling, tools, equipment and fault finding.
- Drive and support value engineering activities , operational simplification, product transfers and outsourcing initiatives
- Manage concessions, approvals, expiration and extensions
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in an engineering discipline (mechanical, electrical / electronics’ or software)
- Demonstrated track record of electro-mechanical product design and manufacture
- Experience of managing an engineering team supporting a low volume, high value, technical operation.
- Experienced in managing multiple projects
- Experience of a highly regulated industry, preferable medical devices/ life sciences
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to multitask and work in a team environment; work across departments and geographies, including strong peer level relationships
- Works with a high degree of intensity, follow through, and drive to results
- Outstanding written, verbal, presentation, and influencing skills
Desirable Hiring Criteria:
- Experience in medical device or in-vitro diagnostic device product development
- Experience of implementing Lean and Continuous Improvement Techniques into a hand-assembly operation