This job is no longer available
Design Engineer/Senior Design Engineer
- Be part of a hugely ambitious new electrification programme
- Lead the engineering development of various projects at every stage
- Work closely and collaboratively as part of a project team, including consultants and contractors
- Enable us to work safely, efficiently and cost-effectively
If you’re looking for the most exciting opportunities in engineering, your search ends here. Revitalising Britain’s railway, our remit’s as vast as it is challenging – we’re involved in some of the most diverse, ambitious ventures Britain has ever seen, including Crossrail, Europe’s largest engineering project.
The rail industry has now embarked on the most ambitious new £2b electrification programme Britain has seen for more than 30 years. Needless to say, this presents us with massive challenges and opportunities for the future – and to meet them successfully, it’s vital that we have a world-class team in place. As a result, we’re now seeking more outstanding engineers to join us, and help us deliver innovation and efficiency in line with challenging timescales.
The role is responsible for supporting/leading the engineering development of a wide range of projects including new electrification programmes, power supply upgrades and electrification and plant renewals. Following clarification of remit, you will carry out feasibility studies, single option development and prepare outline designs and the engineering elements of tender documentation as necessary.
A key part of your role will involve ensuring that development remits comprehensively and accurately describe the necessary requirements, and allow these to be delivered as efficiently as possible. You will also seek to identify opportunities for achieving programme/cost efficiencies, and support innovation work streams currently being progressed with the view to reducing electrification unit costs.
The senior role will be expected to have a good understanding of multidisciplinary engineering, and lead and develop a small team of engineers working closely with a range of both internal and external stakeholders in jointly developing solutions that deliver safely and efficiently, and meet the ambitious programme of works.
- Electrical or Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent qualification
- Flair for option development
- Strong evaluation and decision-making skills.
- Working knowledge of railway electrification engineering or similar related industry
- Good grasp of all the life cycle stages of rail infrastructure
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The senior role also calls for membership of a relevant professional body
Network Rail welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of background, disability or gender and is committed to creating a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve.
To find out more about this position and apply, please visit networkrail.co.uk/engineeringcareers and click on reference IRC599698
Closing date: 31st July 2012