This job is no longer available
From concept design and support to technical assurance, in-service design and life extension investigations, BMT Defence Services is known for its innovation, expertise and ability to tackle the most complex submarine design and systems issues.
As a leading independent centre of engineering design, design support and technical services for defence customers, BMT Defence Services’ strong track record in naval platform design for surface warships, submarines and auxiliaries is thanks to our people, who include naval architects, marine engineers, systems engineers, and software developers.
As a Senior Naval Architect, you will be required to provide professional engineering in support of key projects by undertaking calculations and carrying out investigations into some or all of the following areas, and developing and preparing solutions individually or as a member of a team;
• Concept design, detailed design, production support, delivery and in service support for submarine and surface ship platforms;
• Support to the definition and development of user, system and sub-system requirements through to demonstration of acceptance;
• General Arrangement development and assessment;
• Hull form design, optimisation and development;
• Assessment of hydrodynamic performance, including resistance and propulsion, and appendage design and integration;
• Assessment of buoyancy and stability characteristics for concept and detailed design phases;
• Prediction of manoeuvring and control performance through mathematical, computational and physical modelling methods;
• Seakeeping analysis; predicting, understanding and adjusting a platform design’s predicted response to the wave amplitude and direction;
• Supporting the development of best practice to increase the capability and performance of tools and processes;
• Keeping up to date in relevant technical areas, developing skills and capabilities;
• Supplying technical support and expertise to other staff as required.
Ideally, you will also have:
• A degree or equivalent in Naval Architecture;
• Experience in engineering or a defence related industry;
• Familiarity with the UK submarine establishment.
Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status with a recognised professional body would be beneficial, however if you are yet to achieve this BMT offers good prospects for developing and gaining the necessary experience.
We would like to hear from people seeking both permanent and fixed term contract opportunities.
For our permanent roles, we offer an excellent remuneration package with a competitive salary, bonuses/profit scheme, a competitive pension scheme, subsidised gym/sports membership, 25 days holiday, employee discounts, additional holiday purchase and more. A relocation allowance is also available where applicable.
To apply please visit www.bmtdsl.co.uk/dslcareers.
For an informal discussion prior to applying please contact Victoria Johnson on +44(0) 1225 473 601.