This job is no longer available
Summary of Role:
We are seeking a Chief Engineer to provide technical leadership for a new programme in the defence and intelligence domain. The role is a key technical leadership position within the organisation. Successful candidates are expected to take full ownership of the overall project development through requirements capture, architectural and detailed design, integration, test, validation and acceptance.
The Chief Engineer will ensure the integrity of the design solution throughout the development and demonstration cycle, as well as being responsible for gaining system acceptance from the customer. They will provide the strategic leadership on all engineering aspects of the programme, including processes and methods. Prospective candidates will need to demonstrate a proven ability of managing a complex engineering design throughout a full engineering life cycle, and the ability to apply that knowledge at a "system of systems" level.
This position is a customer facing role and the successful candidate is expected to help shape and guide the customers’ understanding of the programme as it evolves. The successful candidate will interface with the Raytheon Leadership Team to provide internal clarity of the programmes’ progress against budget, schedule and technical requirements.
- Proven experience of leading design engineering effort on complex projects, including the planning, tracking and controlling of systems project activities.
- Disciplined and rigorous approach to system design and ability to ask challenging questions about the requirements and architecture of the system at each level of the hierarchy.
- Experience of interfacing with and managing customer relations.
- Ability to compile and present progress reports at an appropriate frequency and depth.
- Experience of managing cross-discipline teams and of guiding the work of other engineers.
- Track record of delivering work packages to cost, schedule and quality.
- Ability to compile estimates and task lists with estimated resource requirements (people and equipment).
- Ability to chair customer meetings.
- Experience of using metrics to present project status.
- Degree in Scientific or Engineering discipline.
- Willing and able to obtain the highest levels of UK security clearance.
- Willing to travel abroad.
- Knowledge of IMINT and SIGINT/ELINT, COMINT, MASINT, OSINT, HUMINT and the analysis of the data.
- Understanding of the DCPD workflow.
- Knowledge of security aspects and solutions.
- Knowledge of systems requirements management and object based design decomposition methodology and tools.
- Experience in system sell-off to military customers.
- Experienced in presenting at all levels within an organisation.
- Holder of current SC security clearance.
- A Finisher – who delivers what he commits to do, resilient in the face of difficulty.
- Team player.
- Methodical, attention to detail.
- Integrity and honesty; able to deliver bad news as well as good.
- Energy and Drive; willing to work long hours when required.
- Staying Power; maintains personal motivation over the long haul.
- Courage; able to make the difficult decisions as well as the easy.
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, national security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Uxbridge, Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2011 sales of $25 billion and 71,000 employees worldwide, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, homeland security and other government markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 90 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as a broad range of mission support services. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass. For more about Raytheon, visit us at www.raytheon.co.uk
Raytheon Career Development:
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
- 25 days holiday + statutory holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success.