Updated as at 26 January 2010
We are PE Publishing Ltd and our registered office is at 1 Birdcage Walk,
- When do we collect data?
We may collect personal information from you when you do the following through our Websites:
- order products and subscriptions from us;
- register as a user on one or more of our Websites;
- provide content through our online communities;
- register to receive our newsletters; and
- contact us with a question or complaint.
- What personal information do we collect from you?
We may collect the following personal information from you:
- postal address;
- phone number (land line, mobile and fax);
- credit or debit card details; and
- email address
- Information that you submit to the website if you choose to set up a profile
- Your c.v, if you choose to post your c.v. to the site
- What do we do with your personal information?
When you give us any personal information as indicated above, we use your personal information to:
- enable you to use any services that we may from time to time provide through the Websites;
- enable you to become a registered user on one or more of our Websites;
- process your transaction or subscription and correspond with you accordingly;
- provide you with information about our products and services, our latest news or special offers which may be of interest to you unless you opt to be excluded from these communications;
- provide you with information about the products and services, latest news or special offers from our partners you if you opt to be receive communications;
- track activity on our Websites for market research purposes so that we can improve the usefulness and content of the Websites but, in carrying out such activity, we use the personal information in aggregate and on an anonymous basis;
- stop you posting or sending offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on our Websites or where you otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on the Websites. This may involve informing relevant third parties such as your employer, e-mail/Internet provider and law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour; and
- for Website administration (including enabling us to respond to any comments on the Websites or feedback you may give us).
- To whom do we pass your personal information?
We may share personal information collected via the Websites within our corporate group including PE Publishing Ltd, Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Otherwise, we will only disclose personal information to government bodies and law enforcement agencies, successors in title to our business and suppliers we engage to process data on our behalf.
□ If you choose to set up a profile and/or post a cv to topengineeringjobs.com, then this information will be searchable by recruiters who use the site. When you set up your profile you have the option of excluding specific recruiters from seeing it.
□ If you use our website to correspond with a recruiter about a job application then we will pass the information that you provide to that recruiter
- International transfers of personal information
On the basis that the Internet is a global environment, using the Internet to collect and process personal data necessarily involves the transmission of data across international boundaries. Therefore, by browsing the Websites and submitting personal information to us, you acknowledge our processing of your personal information on this basis.
When you view our Websites we may store information on the hard drive of your computer in the form of a "cookie" (essentially a small text file). Cookies allow us to tailor the Websites to your interests and preferences. For example, a cookie might contain information about the web pages you have visited on the Website, which could allow us to customise your next visit to the Websites. However, cookies do not allow us access to the rest of your computer and we do not use them to collect personal information about you. Most Internet browsers enable you to delete cookies or to receive a warning before a cookie is stored on your hard drive. Please refer to your browser instructions or help screen to learn more about how to do this. However, should you decide to disable any cookies we place on your computer you may not be able to use certain services or facilities on the Website and we will not be able to provide you with a personalised service.
- Linking to other websites
The Websites contains hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These websites have their own privacy policies and we urge you to review them. They will govern the use of personal information you submit whilst visiting these websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
- IP Addresses
We study visitor trends since we are interested in the successful dissemination of information through the Websites. Our server creates log files of information such as the Internet Protocol (IP) address from your network, what pages were explored and the length of your visit. Analysis software is used to generate reports which help us to learn more about how we can enhance your experience with the Websites. This information is not used to develop a personal profile of you. The log files are regularly purged. An IP address is a number designated for your computer by your Internet service provider to provide access to the Internet. Generally, an IP address will change every time your computer connects to the Internet. However, if you have a broadband connection, it is possible that the IP address that we may gather may contain information that may be deemed identifiable. This could occur due to the fact that by using certain broadband connections, your IP address would not change and could be associated with your personal computer. We may use your IP address to gather aggregate information on use. But we will only be able to identify you individually if we have the means of linking the IP address to you as a particular user. This usually requires access to additional information which we do not seek. We may use your IP address to deduce your approximate geographical location for analysis purposes or to personalise the website (for example to show content that is relevant to people in your geographical area)
- Your right to see your personal information
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold on you and to have any errors in that information corrected. We charge a small fee for such requests. Please address your request to our Finance and Systems Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
- Managing your personal information
You can change or delete the information that you have posted to the site in the “Jobs by Email” “Your Account” and “Your profile” sections of topengineeringjobs.com. We will use reasonable efforts to ensure that your information is updated quickly, but cannot guarantee that third parties will not make use of your outdated personal information, if it has already been passed to them, for example as part of a job application.